These notes come from Public Relations Writing and Media Techniques by Dennis L. Wilcox
1. There are four components of Public Relations:
2. Tactics are the ways in which a strategy is carried out. PR writers are responsible for carrying them out.
3. There are four PR roles:
- Expert Prescriber- top management consultants for strategic planning
- Communication Facilitator- the person in communication with the organization and its publics
- Problem-Solving Facilitator- solves problems with management
- Communication Technician- provides graphic design, event planning and writes news releases.
4. Aside from writing, PR practitioners need four basic knowledge skills:
- Knowledge of PR
- Knowledge of current events- some employers even provide quizzes during interviews
- Knowledge of business
- Knowledge of management
5.The difference between a journalist and a PR writer is objectivity vs. advocacy.
6. In order for a PR writer to write an affective persuasive piece, he/she must do research on the specific target audience.
7. PR professionals spend about 70% of their work time on the computer.
8. It is important to use short paragraphs, present tense and also important to limit the amount of words around a verb.
9. Here are some errors to avoid:
- Poor Sentence Structure
- Wrong words/ words that sound alike
- Too many numbers
- Hype-it ruins credibility
- Stereotypes-people can perceive them as sexist or racist
- Politically incorrect language